Last Fourth of July we were riding to a friends house to celebrate the holiday and on the side of the road was this beauty.
Seriously, just sitting there!
With plenty of space
for Michael's junk inside.
And a broken drawer.
We turned around to check it out and decided it was a keeper. Then we went and asked a friend to help pick it up because BOY is it heavy. It's had a lovely home on our back porch since then.
After being tired of looking at it, Michael got the project started. He rebuilt the draw at the bottom, sanded the entire piece, and primed it. Because he had been doing all of the hard work, he got to choose the paint color. Although he wanted a dark green (what does that mean anyways?) I convinced him to lighten it up a bit and we chose a more acceptable color (I just tried to check the color and can't find the paint can.). After giving it two coats we stood back and took a look. Ahhhh! We had made a mistake. It was an awful army green that looked like it belonged more on a camo jacket than our guest room.
Solution time -- I had recently come across Kristi's blogpost over at Addicted 2 Decorating that explained how to antique a piece of furniture. It completely changed the look of it. Although we didn't use the neutral eggshell color that she chose, we decided to give it a try. We headed back to Lowe's and bought a can of Minwax Wood Finish Stain in Dark Walnut. I distressed it with the sander, brushed on the stain, and wiped it away with a cloth.